Did you know that certain color pigments in cosmetics come from animals? Guanine, a shimmery pigment, comes from fish scales, and Carmine, a red pigment, is made from beetles.

FREE OF – THE BAD STUFF

Why saying ‘NO’ Matters

Founder of TOMATO, Sylvia Santosa says  “While it’s not yet possible to create a completely all natural nail polish, we have excluded toxic ingredients as we continually refine our formula.”

“Did you know that certain color pigments in cosmetics come from animals? Guanine, a shimmery pigment, comes from fish scales, and Carmine, a red pigment, is made from beetles. TOMATO polish is never derived from any animal product or by-product.  It is vegan and never tested on animals.”

NO Formaldehyde. Used to harden and strengthen nail polish and also help in a preservative that guards against bacterial growth. This toxic ingredient usually causes allergic reactions, asthma, nausea, and even miscarriages.

NO Toluene. Used to help nail polish be evenly applied. This chemical has been linked to issues affecting the nervous system with symptoms that include dizziness, headaches, nausea and eye irritation.

NO Camphor. Used to give a shiny and glossy appearance in nail polishes. This chemical sometimes triggers severe allergic reactions when applied. Even when you inhale it, it may cause dizziness, headache, and nausea. It may also affect liver function.

NO Parabens. Often used as preservatives, they keep bacteria, mold and fungi from growing in your cosmetic products. Parabens have been associated with the increased risk of breast cancer and skin cancer. 

NO Silicone. Used to speed up the drying process. It is known as an allergen but also a non-biodegradable chemical which is bad for the environment.

NO Dibutyl Phthalate. A plasticizer, this chemical is used to improve polish durability and gives a shiny look to nails. They are known as endocrine disruptors and associated with damage of liver, kidney, and even affect the reproductive system.

NO Formaldehyde Derivatives. Formaldehyde Resin is a by-product of formaldehyde that adds depth, shine, and hardness to the nail polish. It can cause skin allergy, dermatitis, and even affect the reproductive system that may cause miscarriage.

NO Xylene. Used as a solvent in nail polish used to thin the nail polish so it won’t get lumpy. Xylene often gives nail polish its distinguished odor. This chemical has been proven to be a common allergen whose vapors can cause eye, skin irritation, headaches, dizziness and nausea.

NO Triphenyl phosphate. Known as a plasticizer, used in nail polish to improve its flexibility and durability.  The causes of TPHP has been linked with endocrine impacts, reproductive, and even development irregularities.

NO Colophonium. Colophonium is a sticky substance that naturally exists in pine and spruce trees. It contains sticky qualities due to which it is used as a useful ingredient in various cosmetic products, including nail polish. However, it is one of those strong allergen compounds which is associated with acute allergic problems, like it causes dermatitis as well as breathing issues.

NO Organic Halides. Used as nail thinners, these chemical compounds consist of various substances like bromine, iodine, fluorine, and chlorine. They may cause various disorders, including nerve damage.

NO Ethyl Tosylamide. Used as a plasticizer in nail polish. It increases the durability and longevity of the nail polish. This chemical can cause severe allergic reactions and in extreme cases liver damage.

NO Ethyl or Butyl Acetate. Used as a solvent in nail polish. Ethyl and Butyl acetates are not only highly flammable, it is toxic if ingested or inhaled, and this chemical may be damaging to internal organs in the case of repeated or prolonged exposure. These acetates can also cause irritation when it comes into contact with the eyes or skin.

NO Mercury. Depending on the form of mercury, exposure to sufficiently high concentrations can result in allergic reactions, skin irritation or neurotoxicity.

NO Lead. Lead is a neurotoxin and can be dangerous at small doses. Medical experts are clear that any level of lead exposure is unhealthy. Exposure to lead has been linked to a host of health and neurological concerns.

NO Acetone. Used in nail polish removers, acetone is a highly flammable chemical that has a strong smell. Small amounts of acetone will not hurt you, but breathing moderate amounts of acetone for a short amount of time can irritate your nose, throat, lungs and eyes. It can also cause headaches, dizziness, confusion, a faster pulse, nausea, vomiting, effects on the blood, passing out, possible coma, and a shorter menstrual cycle in women.

NO Fragrance. Fragrance in sensitive people can cause watery red eyes, nasal congestion, sneezing, migraine headaches, skin problems, asthma attacks, and other respiratory problems.

NO Animal Derivatives. Certain color pigments in cosmetics come from animals. Guanine, a shimmery pigment, comes from fish scales, and Carmine, a red pigment, is made from crushed beetles. Our products are not derived from any animal product or by-product, it is vegan and never tested on animals.

BUY TOMATO IN THE U.S. HERE

READ MORE HERE